National Perinatal Reporting System (NPRS)
Manager - Sheelagh Bonham
The National Perinatal Reporting System has as its principal aim the provision of national statistics on perinatal events. The NPRS collects data on approximately 75,000 birth records each year from 20 maternity units and all participating 20 independent midwives. Data collected include morbidity, mortality, and socio-economic data.
The NPRS at the ESRI is responsible for:
- Distribution of Birth Notification Forms and collection of the third (green) copy of the Birth Notification Form;
- Data entry and validation of the perinatal data;
- Coding of both morbidity and mortality data using the International Classification of Diseases 10th Revision (ICD-10);
- Coding of mother and father’s occupations according to the Central Statistics Office system of socio-economic group classification;
- Publication of Perinatal Statistics;
- Provision of data and statistics to the Department of Health, Health Service Executive and other relevant agencies;
NPRS data has a wide range of potential uses including:
- Perinatal epidemiology
- Planning of maternity services
- Input to population health profiles at health board levels
Availability of NPRS Data on request:
Aggregate national statistics, without identification of hospital or patient, are available directly from the NPRS at the ESRI.
All requests should be submitted using the Online NPRS Data Request Form. For further assistance please contact email@example.com.